- City Clerk
- Beverage Operator's License
Beverage Operator's License
Alcohol beverages are governed by Chapter 125 of the Wisconsin Statutes. With certain limited exceptions, Wisconsin law prohibits the sale of alcohol without an appropriate license.
Any person 18 years of age or older who is serving alcohol beverages in a City of Shawano establishment with a Class A, B or C license must obtain a Beverage Operator's License (commonly called a "bartender's license").
Applications available at the Clerk's Office or by clicking here.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age by the time of issuance.
- The applicant may not have been convicted of a felony or be a "habitual law offender" (subject to Wisconsin's Fair Employment Law).
- Applicant must complete a responsible beverage server training course, unless they are renewing an existing operator's license or completed the training course within the last two years.
- Complete a Beverage Operator's License application and pay the non-refundable license fees. A copy of your State Identification Card or Driver's License is required to be attached.
Your application will then be submitted to the Chief of Police for a complete background check and initial approval/denial. Upon completion at the Police Department, the application is then provided to the City Clerk for final approval/denial.
Provisional Operator's License
A Provisional Operator's License may be issued to a person who has applied for a Beverage Operator's License and has enrolled in a Beverage Operator's training course. The Provisional license shall expire 60 days after its issuance or when a regular Beverage Operator's License has been obtained. The Clerk may revoke a provisional license if it is discovered that the holder of the license has made a false statement on their application or has failed to successfully complete the training course.
* Act 245 allows for a provisional license to be granted for a fee of $15 plus a certified copy of a valid license issued by another municipality.
Temporary Beverage Operator's License
A Temporary Beverage Operator's License may be issued only to individuals who will be donating their services to nonprofit organizations. Individuals may only hold two Temporary Beverage Operator's license per licensing year. The license is valid for any period from 1 to 14 consecutive days.
Beverage Operator's License Fee Schedule
The licensing year is from July 1st to June 30th.
- Beverage Operator's License (Regular): $50 for a 2-year license
- Provisional Operator's License (Valid for 60 days): $15
- Temporary Beverage Operator's License (1-14 days): $10
- Replacement Beverage Operator's License: $1