Municipal Court

Shawano-Bonduel Municipal Court has jurisdiction over noncriminal traffic and ordinance violations that occur in the City of Shawano and the Village of Bonduel.

The Municipal Courtroom is located in the back part of the City Hall/Police Department Building. Court sessions are held various Thursday's of the month beginning at 3:00 pm.
Being Issued a Citation
You are required to do one of the following before your scheduled initial appearance date:
  • Pay the amount listed on citation to the Shawano-Bonduel Municipal Court Clerk prior to the court date shown. Pay in person at the Municipal Court Clerk's office or make check or money order payable to the Municipal Court Clerk and mail it with a copy of the original citation. If the citation is paid, you do not have to appear in court, unless the citation is checked "Appearance Required."
  • Contact the Court Clerk in writing if you wish to enter a plea of not guilty. The Court Clerk's office must receive your letter and a copy of the citation before the court date shown on the citation. Make sure your correct address is listed on the not guilty plea. You will be notified by mail of the trial date and time. You may call the Prosecuting Attorney to discuss matters before your trial date.
  • Appear in court on the date shown on the citation. This appearance is for entering a plea.
    • If you plead guilty or no contest, the court will then accept your plea, find you guilty, give you an opportunity to present any mitigating circumstances on your behalf and then impose sentence
    • If you plead not guilty, the matter will not be heard on your initial appearance date and the court will set the matter for a trial at a later date.
If the box in the upper left corner of the citation is marked "Must Appear," you must come to court on the date shown.

If defendant is under 18 years old and this is a must appear citation, a parent/guardian must appear with defendant.

Failure to comply with one of the above options may result in a default judgment or a Summons may be issued for you to appear in court.