Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
2020~ NOTICE OF LEAF COLLECTION
The City of Shawano Department of Public Works has scheduled Monday, October 12, 2020 for the beginning of fall curbside leaf collection.
City residents should have their loose leaves to the curbside on their normal scheduled garbage collection day. Please keep in mind that the City crews may run behind schedule during this time, and we appreciate your patience and understanding. Please note: the limit of 6 bags or containers of yard waste will be waived from October 12th – November 20th.
NOVEMBER 20th will end the loose-leaf collection. After November 20th please place all yard waste and leaves in paper 30-gallon capacity bio-degradable bags or plastic containers and set at the curbside on your normal garbage collection day. Please remember that if you place yard waste in a plastic container, a yellow “Shawano Yard Waste” sticker must be placed on the container clearly visible to the collection crew. Stickers are available free of charge at the City of Shawano Department of Public Works office located at 2905 E. Richmond St. and at Shawano City Hall located at 127 S. Sawyer Street.
To help city staff more efficiently collect leaves, please remember the following:
• Rake leaves in windrows (a long narrow line) rather than piles next to the curb. Also, the City will not pick up anything in the alley.
• Keep windrows as close to the curb as possible but do not rake leaves into the street. THIS IS IN VIOLATION OF A CITY ORDINANCE AND WILL PLUG THE STORM SEWERS.
• Keep windrows away from trees, hydrants, signs, posts, electrical pedestals, or other obstacles.
• Keep all garbage, metal, branches, and sticks out of the windrows.
• WE WILL NOT PICK UP ANY PLASTIC BAGS THAT ARE FILLED WITH LEAVES OR YARD WASTE AT ANY TIME.
• Do not park vehicles next to the leaf windrows. If we cannot get our vacuum to the windrows, they will have to wait until your next collection day.
• Remember that weather may slow down the leaf picker. The vacuum will not work if the leaves are extremely wet or if it is snowing.
REMINDER: THIS IS A 2-PERSON OPERATION SO WINDROWS MUST BE NARROW & CLOSE TO THE CURB.
Bulky limbs and cuttings from trees and shrubs must be cut into four-foot lengths and tied into bundles not more than two feet in diameter. Wood and brush should not be placed in a container or garbage can. Please place this directly on the curb. All property owners are responsible for disposing of entire trees that are left at the terrace for collection.
Grass, leaves, and garden waste are composted at the landfill and can be taken to the landfill by any city resident during normal business hours, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday–Friday. The landfill will also be open on Saturdays until November 9, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Please work with the City in keeping these guidelines in mind when cleaning up your yard this fall. If you have any questions, please call the Department of Public Works office at 715-526-3512.